MOVarazzi

Thursday, December 22, 2011

605. I Found A Job I Like

If you have read this blog for any length of time, you know my trials and tribulations on the career front. I was a flight attendant for a decade and then quit to be a stay-at-home mommy. That lasted all of four years (the stay-at-home part, I am still very much a mommy) because I grew very antsy and needed adult stimulation. I ended up getting a job at a high-end kitchen store as a “Holiday Helper” meaning that I would work there for a month over Christmas.

That month morphed into 48 months. I’ve loved every second of it, but I finally need a change. I’ve been floating around since September, trying to figure out what color my parachute is (remember that career planning book?) or if I even have it strapped on right. I have determined it is sparkly-color, but I am still not sure which job this corresponds to.

As you probably remember, I started a Top Secret Job. I ended up being bored out of my mind there. Next, I got a New Better-Paying Top Secret Job. But it’s an “on-call” position so I never know if I will work or not.

Obviously, I want to focus on promoting my new book. I decided to take the entire month of January off for this purpose (“Marketing”/ catching up on TiVo’d episodes of House Hunters and Top Chef). Yesterday, on a whim, I asked one of my favorite bloggers of the universe (come back and click here when you are done with my story, and you should totally follow her I mean it she is hilarious) for her address so I could send her a gratis copy of my book. I laugh a lot when I read her stuff, so I thought I would try and return the favor. Good karma and all that.

She sent me a chatty little email with her mailing address. I kept reading the email, marveling at how she can instantaneously think of witty things to say when I got to this line in her email:

“I just had a bottle of wine dropped off by FED EX for a review.”

That sentence was not meant to be bragging (although of course now I might possibly interpret it as a teensy bit bragging), she just was mentioning it because in the context it was necessary.

But I really didn’t need to read anymore. I had an epiphany: I need to be a Wine Reviewer Blogger! Of course! This is what I was born to do!

I am going to email her right away and ask her how she got that fabulous job.

Once I secure my new job (I think I will revise my title to “Chief Wine Reviewer Blogger Extraordinaire”), these are some of the types of reviews you can expect from me:
  • Campa Rialta Bella Chardonnay from Central California: Very dry. Very fruity. Light, but complex. Giving, but forgiving. Pleasant after taste of, uh, grapes. Highly recommend, but might need one more test bottle to make sure.
  • Red Jumping Grasshopper Riesling from Germany: Fresh. Abundant. Abundantly fresh. Happily grape-y with undercurrents of honey and almond, but not soapy. Would drink again. Please send extra bottle for this purpose.
  • Mossy Neptune Pinot Grigio from New Zealand: Produces a great buzz after just two glasses. Makes you feel happy. Would feel happier if someone sent me another bottle.
I just know this is the job I was meant to have! Thank you, Mrs. Tuna!  I can’t wait to start!

MOV
(“Mixing Our Vinos”)

8 comments:

  1. Sounds good! you can do your reviews while watching the new show I am pitching to the network. Girl Vs Booze perhaps you'd like a co-starring roll?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing is far better than drinking although because I am only little and don't drink that sort of drink. Maybe it is different. But then I cant really write either because someone keeps moving the letter on this silly qwerty keyboard. On top of that someone else reckons 200,000 words is a bit long for a book. but I said HA so now its 200,002 words.

    By the way those European wines sound much better. A nice fermented Grasshopper takes a lot of beating and I should know, I had to fend one off once with a long stick when it had me cornered in the shed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that sounds like the perfect job! I could even do that one while sitting around in my Pee Wee Herman pajamas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You forgot to mention that the wine was sent to my undercover name instead of my real one. I started my fabulous review of wine in my post "the Vino Slut". If you really want to read it go here:

    http://workingwomansguidetodinner.blogspot.com/2011/08/vino-slut.html

    Happy liquor, er I mean holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahahahaha I love the new blog subtitle. :)

    So my mom bought me your book for Christmas! And even though I am a terrible person at reading Amazon envelopes that say "OPEN AFTER YOU OPEN YOUR GIFT TO SAVE THE SURPRISE!" and ruined the surprise for myself, I can't open the wrapping until Christmas. v_v I am super excited though. My mom asked me if I thought my cousin (also a mother of two,) would like it. I told her definitely. :) So I don't know if that means she already bought it or she is going to buy it. But yeah. Eeee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I be your sidekick- the Hot Chocolate Reviewer?
    :D It would give me an excuse to revive my blog.

    -Motaki, Aspiring Falconer

    ReplyDelete
  7. L Girl-- ha! but you know I would win in that throw-down.

    Rob Z Tobor--I made up the grasshopper wine name. But if it exists, I would totally buy it.

    Shea, Lola, and Tucker--it does sound like a dream job, right? add "Chocolate Reviewer" to the title and I have died and gone to heaven.

    Tuna--I am going to click on that original post! thanks for the link! and thank you so much for giving me permission to quote your email. :)

    marianne--the job does not pay well. But who cares about money when you got grasshopper wine?

    teri--you totally made my day! I hope you love the book! please email me back after you read it and give your opinion.

    taki-- happy to have a Hot Chocolate Reviewer join the team. Marianne and I will be the ones putting Bailey's in ours.......

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete

When you write a comment, it makes me feel like I won the lottery or at the very least like I ate an ice-cream sundae. (This has nothing to do with the fact that I did just eat an ice-cream sundae.)